9.19.2016

Best Products for Sun Protection


I have always been a sun worshipper. I love having a tan and I love laying out on a hot day next to a body of water. However, now that I am getting older I am beginning to realize that all that sun is just going to cause more skin damage than I would like to deal with. I figure that it is time for me to start taking sun protection seriously. With that being said, I do not like all of the crazy chemicals that can be found in most sunscreens so I gravitate towards items that seem healthier (ie. more expensive). This Summer I stumbled upon some new faves that I never left home without. 


I first tried Sun Bum when I had to buy sunscreen in Hawaii a few years ago. The product is gluten free and vegan, but best of all it smells amazing, just like coconut. I am obsessed with the smell which is helpful in reminding me to reapply throughout the day. It is paraben free, oil/PABA free, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, retinyl palmitate free, propylene glycol free, and cruelty free. I typically don't like to use the spray sunscreen because it can be bad to inhale, but I purchased this one so that I can spray it on my back when I am home alone working in my yard (that seems to be the time I burn my back the most).  I purchased all of these products from Target and have seen them at Ulta as well. 


Next up is my favorite for my face. This is what I would put on under my moisturizer when I knew I would be in direct sun all day. This product was perfect for my face. It is a cream texture, but it felt like putting on a dry oil. It was thin and absorbed quickly. It has a nice smell and does not clog pores. I actually ended up liking this better than my daily moisturizer with SPF. This product is free of chemical actives, paraben free, retinyl palmitate free, has no synthetic fragrances and is cruelty free. A major plus is that it has 40 minutes of water resistance for those days you are floating in the pool. I purchased this product at Target.


I stumbled upon this product while browsing through Ulta one day. I was familiar with the brand because I had received a sample of their SPF moisturizer in one of my Birchboxes. What I liked about this product was that it was a makeup setting spray that you could put on after you did your makeup and you could add throughout the day. I used this while at an all day concert in 99 degree heat and direct sunlight and I did not burn one bit, not even a pink nose. The product is 70% certified organic and cruelty free. It has green tea, cucumber and aloe extracts that cool and sooth your skin. I have fairly sensitive skin and this product did not irritate it or cause any breakouts. 


There is something magical about a powder that can also provide SPF. This all in one product is the perfect for on the go protection. Just pop the lid off and give it a little shake to release some powder and brush all over your face. I loved using this product when I wanted to make sure I didn't look oily or sweaty. It is compact enough to throw in your purse or clutch and therefore works great when attending an outdoor event. I found this product at Ulta but have also seen it at Sephora. 

All of these products can help keep your skin safe, but it is important to remember some other staples of sun protection. Don't forget to wear your sun hat, sunglasses and stay hydrated

No comments :

Post a Comment